Popular Posts

Monday, 26 November 2012

School Glue Glitter Base Coat; Does it Really Work?

Hello gentle readers.

In my travels around the nail blogging community, I have heard a good bit about using white school glue as a base coat for glitter manicures that aid in easier removal of the glitter polish you are wearing. Traditionally, those of us who love to wear glitter have had a tough time removing it. I have read so many different tricks, tips and assertions that this or that is the only way to effectively remove the glitter from the nails. I tried some, with varying levels of success. My favorite method of glitter removal is to do the foil method. I use this method frequently, it is effective, easy and doesn't take nearly as much time as trying to scrub the glitter off, nail by nail.

I recently read about an easy glitter removal base coat made from white glue and a little water. Intrigued, I decided to try it for myself. I used a cleaned out empty top coat bottle, I filled it about... 2/3-ish with white Elmer's glue and then filled it up to the top of the shoulder of the bottle with water  and gave it a good shake, shake, shake. I applied two coats, letting it dry in between coats. The base coat dried pretty quickly, blowing on it made it dry faster. It went on a little milky and dried clear.





I then applied a glitter manicure. I used two coats of Milani One Coat Glitter (one coat, my aunt) in Blue Flash and accent nails done in three coats of China Glaze Lorelei's Tiara. The polishes went on easily and smoothly, just as with normal base coat. I topped my glitters with Gelous and Seche Vite. Dry time was as normal. I did my normal cleanup with my cleanup brush and acetone. The glue didn't interfere with that process in the least.




Wear time with this base coat is not impressive. I applied this manicure early on the first day, by the next morning, after a shower and much hand washing, it was beginning to chip. By that afternoon, it was coming off of a couple of nails in larger chunks. I went ahead and picked and peeled off the manicure. I don't have pictures of that, I did it while I was in the car and we were driving around. I tossed the polish shells out the window. I should have tossed them into my purse. But I didn't think of it. I was having too much fun peeling my manicure off of my nails. The glitter peeled off easily, once I got it started. There was no damage to the edge of my nails from starting the peel process and no damage to my nail plate after the polish peeled away. It all came off clean, just a little left over residue on a few edges which were easily whisked away with a little remover on a  cotton round.

So, does white glue base coat under glitter work? Yes, it does. It is super cheap, easy to get and mix up. It applies smoothly and dries quickly. There is no chemical odor, just the smell of white glue, which is not unpleasant. Removal is easy-peasy; next time I'll use a wood cuticle pusher stick to start the peeling process. This is best for short term wear. An evening, a special event, a party or for a day or so. If you want to wear your glitter for a longer time, normal base coat is a better choice.I will be making use of this glue base coat often.

Have you tried using white glue as a glitter base coat? What do you think of it? Did it work for you? Did you have longer lasting results than I? Please share, I'd love to hear your experience.

Thank you so much for popping in and reading. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment