Popular Posts

Friday, 3 February 2012

New Wet-N-Wild Megalast: Swatches and Review

Hello gentle readers.

Happy Friday to each and every one of you. Today I have some swatches and a review of the new reworked Wet-N-Wild Megalast polish line. I spotted these new polishes in their pretty, new bottles at my local Walgreen's in a display by the beauty counter. They were priced to move at $1.99 each and were on special; Buy two get one free. How can I pass up a deal like that? I almost did. I am a little hesitant when it comes to Wet-N-Wild polishes and quite frankly, I wasn't all that excited about this "new" line.

I looked over the polishes in the display and noticed, emblazoned on the top of each cap the proclamation that these new polishes have a Mani-Curve Pro Brush. What? What? Was it possible? Had Wet-N-Wild heard the cries of polish lovers? Had they finally addressed the bad brush issue? Dare I hope? Drawn in by the promise of a new Mani-Curve Pro Brush, I chose three polishes to buy and try. I thought about buying one of each of the whole line but something held me back. I am a little gun shy, I guess. I was also not all that inspired by the rather pedestrian colour selection. I finally chose Wet Cement, a soft grey-taupe, Disturbia (is that fab Rhianna song now running through your head?) a deep eggplant with a hidden purple shimmer and I Need a Refresh-Mint, a soft, pastel mint green.

Let us begin the photographs portion of this post with a couple of bottle shots, shall we? All photographs were taken in my lightbox, under my OttLight.


Wet-N-Wild Megalast polish in Wet Cement, Disturbia (I love that name), and I Need a Refresh-Mint. 


The pretty new bottle shape. Rounded off square at the top that tapers down to a heavy, narrow round base . Wet-N-Wild is etched down two sides of the bottle. The cap is longer and more slender than the old Megalast design, it is black with a silver tone band and is slightly tapered with a domed top. 



Wet Cement. A soft, greyed taupe crelly that leans a little to purple, on me. This is two coats and top coat. Wet Cement is not an unusual or all that exciting a colour but it is very nice. It is shiny, smooth and opaque in two coats.


Disturbia is an eggplant jelly with a hidden purple shimmer that fires in bright light in the bottle but doesn't so much on the nails. This is three coats and no top coat. I shot this photograph in the sun, hoping to bring out that very hidden shimmer but alas, it remained largely elusive, even in direct, bright sun. I had hoped that this polish could have lived up to it's terrific name. This polish was glued shut when I was ready to swatch it. I had to hold it under hot, running water to get it open then clean the neck of the bottle with acetone. It had obviously been swatched by someone in the store. Yuk!


I Need a Refresh-Mint is a pretty pastel mint green crelly. Smooth, silky and slightly squishy, this is my favourite of the three both in colour and formula. This is two coats, three on my pinkie to cover my ridges on that nail, with top coat. 

The formula of these polishes is pretty decent, overall. They are thick enough to handle nicely and not run or pool on the cuticles but not so thick that they feel gloopy or would want to drag or clot. Dry time on all three of these polishes is pretty good. Wet-N-Wild Megalast polishes are pretty nice polishes, especially for the price. Unfortunately they have one huge drawback that is, for me, a deal breaker.

The brush. All of my hopes for a good brush. A better brush were dashed upon the rocks the moment I began to swatch the first of the three polishes. The brush wand is very similar to the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure polish brush; it is wide and flat, nearly reaching across the entire opening of the bottle. The brush, it's self is also very wide and flat and is curved at the bottom edge. Unfortunately, the curved bottom edge is very badly trimmed. Like most Wet-N-Wild brushes it is choppy, rat chewed and just plain horrible.

It was difficult, with all three of these brushes to get a smooth, even finish and a neat gap curve was nearly impossible. I had to use my cleanup brush like crazy to neaten up after those nasty brushes as they slopped polish all over the place, including my cuticles and the skin on the sides of my nails. The brush in Wet Cement was so awful that it left trails of bubbles in it's wake on every stroke. What a mess. What a massive fail, once again. 

I want to like these polishes but I can't. I can forgive a lot from a pretty polish but these brushes are, in my opinion, unforgivable. I will be returning these polishes and I can't, in good conscience recommend them. I would say, if you see these polishes in your local drugstore, steer clear. There are plenty of really nice, affordable polishes out there to be had. Polishes with nice formulas, pretty colours and much better brushes. 

Do you own any of these polishes? What has been your own experience with them? Do you like them? Dislike them? I would like to hear your input, if you would like to share. 

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment