Popular Posts

Thursday, 22 December 2011

Comparison: OPI An Affair in Red Square and Pure Ice Scarlet

Hello gentle readers.

Recently, I featured a Pure Ice polish called Scarlet. I thought, when I was applying it that it seemed similar to OPI An Affair in Red Square and mantioned that in my post. Well, I offered to do a comparison if anyone was interested. Someone was so, here it is. :D (Sorry it took me a while.)

What we have here are two red shimmer polishes. On my index and ring finger nails is OPI An Affair in Red Square and on my middle and pinkie finger nails is Pure Ice Scarlet. These photographs were taken under my OttLight.


OPI An Affair in Red Square is a brilliant, cool red with gold shimmer and an ever so slight blackened quality that gives it depth and a beautiful complexity. There is a feeling, when looking at this polish in person that one is looking down, deep into the polish. This is a classic for a reason. It is stunning.


Pure Ice Scarlet is a bright, true red with a silver shimmer and a hint of a magenta shift that almost feels duochrome. This polish is a bit more shallow, it lacks the depth and complexity of the OPI. It is a brighter, clearer red. It feels almost metallic, in person.

The formula of these polishes is very different. OPI has that classic, perfect formula, slightly thinner, smooth as silk and easy to control as it flows off that oh-so-fabulous Pro Wide brush. The shimmer is evenly distributed throughout the polish and as it is stroked onto the nail, there is no pooling or clumping of the shimmer, causing streaks. This polish is ever so slightly brushstroke-y. With a polish of this nature, it is simply unavoidable.

 Pure Ice Scarlet is a bit thicker, it is slightly less biddable than it's friend but it isn't a bad formula. I had little trouble with it, very little trouble, in fact. The shimmer can clump together in this polish and cause streaks, dark spots. This isn't the case in this swatch, but the last time I wore this polish, I had a couple of such spots. It isn't a deal breaker for me. But it can happen with this polish. That inevitable brushstroke-y quality is a bit more apparent in this polish but not obvious or obnoxious.

So, there you have it. Two pretty red shimmer polishes. There are differences. These are not dead on dupes, by any means but either one should make just about any red shimmer lover pretty happy. It basically comes down to price. OPI An Affair in Red Square runs about eight clams, Pure Ice Scarlet, about two. My personal choice would have to be OPI An Affair in Red Square. I have owned this polish for a long time and am firmly in love with it.

I hope that this comparison was useful to you. If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to drop me a comment and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a wonderful day and may your polish never bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment