Popular Posts

Tuesday, 27 September 2011

How Much Pretty Can You Get For $3.25?

A lot.

Hello gentle readers. How's life treating you? My Fallergies are driving me in. sane. And there was/is a fire nearby that filled the air with smoke, making me even more miserable. Gah!

Thank goodness I have pretty nails to compensate for my misery. Today I am wearing Orly Mineral FX in Rock-It. This is the polish I scored at Sally's for $3.25 the other day. And it sure is gorgeous. It is a raspberry jelly packed with shimmer. Some black for depth, magenta, raspberry, gold. This polish shifts and changes, depending on the light and angle in which it is viewed. I applied two coats and topped it with Seche Vite.

Buckle up, kids. There are lots of pictures, ahead. And yes, I know that some hate to hear the whole "This looks better in person than in my photographs" thing. But this is definitely the case with this polish. I wish that my photographs could do this lovely stuff true justice but I just don't have the super fabulous camera and skills required, so I just do the best I can with what I have. :)

Please forgive my cuticles. They are pretty much dog meat, right now. Why, I don't know. I soaked them in oil and cuticle butter before I shot this manicure so I hope that they aren't too offensive. Guess they just need some extra attention, right now. You know what? I think it was all of the alcohol I was splashing around in the other day when I did my palette project. Yepper... I think that was the culprit.

Anywhoozle, here are the photos. They are clickable for bigness, if you so desire. :)

 Lamp.

Sun.







Shade.

I boosted the saturation and sharpness in these, to try to show some of the richness and depth and complexity present in this polish. 

Orly Rock-It has an oddly thin-thick formula. It feels thin and I had some trouble with it, especially on the first coat. It kept trying to run and flood my cuticles. I really had to hustle and use my cleanup brush. More than I really like. As I started the second coat, the polish tightened up a little and it was much, much easier to control. I had little cleanup on the second coat. Dry time is really good with this polish. It is a top coat muncher. I can feel a slight texture on the surface of my nails and I could use a second coat of Seche Vite. I may go ahead and apply that, in a bit. 

In spite of it's eccentricities, I very much like this polish and it is so very beautiful that in my opinion, it is worth the extra effort. I really would love to have the other colours in this collection. Especially Stone Cold and Rock-Coco (I think that is what it is called? The purple one?) I also like the grey with holo sparkles. And Emberstone. Aw hell... Why don't I just come right out and admit that I want all of them? lol

Do you own these polishes? Love them? Did you have the same difficulties that I did with application? Maybe mine were due to the half a gallon of coffee I consumed before doing my nails? 

Probably.

Say, would anyone be interested in a photo tutorial on how to build a very inexpensive lightbox? If so, I took pics while building mine and I would be happy to do a post. Just let me know. :D

Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a great afternoon and may your polish never bubble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment